Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: "An Altec 210 mini-revival" or "An Altec 4th of July"

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Junior Hostboard Member Edford's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 4th, 2008
    Location
    Mountain Home, AR
    Posts
    17
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Cool "An Altec 210 mini-revival" or "An Altec 4th of July"

    I was fortunate enough to get the job at our community 4th of July event "The Red White & Blue Festival" in Mountain Home, AR on June 29th and 30th. I took my 210s out to our local high school graduation this year (a repeat job I have had since 1996) thinking, "who knows maybe somebody will be impressed with them and I will get another job". I usually do the job with four Altec 816s and 511 horns. Well, 2 days after graduation I got a message from the coordinator of RW&B. This is a 2-day event the weekend before the 4th of July featuring live bands, a movie in the park and music track for the fire works. On stage are the following components.

    two Altec 210s
    two Altec 299s with 1005 horns
    four Altec DX1012-8AGs (floor monitors)
    two Altec 937s (floor monitors)
    two Crown DC-300s
    two QSC RMX2450s

    The bands were completely knocked out by both the FOH and monitor sound. Nothing but praise from performers and audience alike. At the start of the second day the coordinator came by to confirm me for job for next year. I will be taking them out as often as possible. They are so impressive in comparison to the current typical FOH junk that I'm certain I will get additional work.

    Serious lessons in speaker and cabinet efficiency and low frequency directivity. People are shocked when they hear low frequencies still coming at 200+ yards.

    Its like a Altec 210 mini-revival around here.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member gearfreak's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 20th, 2008
    Location
    SEPA
    Posts
    633
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: "An Altec 210 mini-revival" or "An Altec 4th of July"

    Sweet.

    kudos... nah I hate 'kudos', so: 'praise' for dragging them out and showing the masses!

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member gvasale's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 13th, 2005
    Location
    Webster, Ma
    Posts
    215
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: "An Altec 210 mini-revival" or "An Altec 4th of July"

    An old and tired phrase, but "Right On!" I'd love to have been there too. Makes me wish I had a couple...

    ( don't know all the internet slang like FOH, but who cares)

  4. #4
    Junior Hostboard Member Aman2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 20th, 2012
    Posts
    18
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: "An Altec 210 mini-revival" or "An Altec 4th of July"

    WOW
    I bet the sound was great! My PA rig consists of all altec amps, mixers and processing, but my speakers are community and yamaha. The sound is still very good, but I bet these would have blown my setup out of the water. I really really really need to get a hold of some altec speakers.......

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member juniper's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 8th, 2011
    Posts
    368
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: "An Altec 210 mini-revival" or "An Altec 4th of July"

    That is awesome to see, great job!!! Are those horns the correct ones for those monsters?

  6. #6
    Junior Hostboard Member Edford's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 4th, 2008
    Location
    Mountain Home, AR
    Posts
    17
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: "An Altec 210 mini-revival" or "An Altec 4th of July"

    @gvasale - Sorry for the short hand FOH = Front Of House - or the sound from the main speakers apposed to the monitor speakers.

    @ Juniper - I got these speakers (I actually have 3 sets L, C, R) from an eBay auction. The high frequency drivers were originally 288-16k on a 1005 horn. Just before this job I updated the voice coils to 299? 399? whatever the latest that Bill at Great Plains Audio suggested. They still sound great and now handle 50 to 75 watts depending upon the crossover frequency chosen. The 288-16ks were only rated at 20 watts so I was a little concerned that I may stress them in an outdoor situation were I was trying to cover a 5000+ seating area (more or less). They performed exceptionally.

    @ Aman2 - I like all things Altec, but their main thing IS their speaker systems. I have used them since the late 70's almost exclusively in my live sound work. In the beginning I messed around with some other cabinets with different levels of success. But Altec bass horn cabinets are really in a different class than other speakers systems. Mostly I have used the more portable 816 cabinets (single 15" driver) in my outdoor setups because they are easier to haul. When I first got the 210s it was just to get the 515 speakers from the cabinets. I was going to use them in more 816s or maybe 817s. But I always wanted to hear the 210s anyway, so I hooked them up to listen. BIG MISTAKE! I couldn't bring myself to take them apart after that and I struggled for the next few years about how to work out transportation if I was going to start to use them in my rental business. I solved that problem this year and will now use them as often as I can because they truly jaw dropping, litterally, I have seen jaws drop. )

    The model 210 large format bass horn from Altec, is truly in a class by itself. No other single speaker cabinet can even comes close. THE END!

  7. #7
    Junior Hostboard Member Edford's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 4th, 2008
    Location
    Mountain Home, AR
    Posts
    17
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: "An Altec 210 mini-revival" or "An Altec 4th of July"

    Oh btw, as a follow up to this post. I got the job this year as well. Took the big boys out once again. Still dropping jaws all over the county. This year my band got the job to play the show as well, so I got to play through my own rig. You can check out my band at the link below.

    www.melodikats.com

    Also, I have already been booked for both jobs in 2014!!
    Ed King "Edford"
    Studio Lane Productions
    Mountain Home, AR

    Altec memory verse: Romans 10:17 "So then faith comes by hearing"

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member
    "An Altec 210 mini-revival" or "An Altec 4th of July"


    Phil-G's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 1st, 2013
    Location
    restaurant at the end of the universe
    Posts
    1,661
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

    Re: "An Altec 210 mini-revival" or "An Altec 4th of July"

    hi Ed, i love to hear first person experience. i really like your 210 setup. it really makes A7s as living room speakers make more sense. the only problem is, now i have to hear the 210s myself. in my case i'll probobly end up building a pair.
    i listened to some y'alls samples over my "little" altecs at home and tried to imagine being at the rwb.
    Last edited by Phil-G; January 8th, 2014 at 09:57 PM.
    Sonic Barbarian

  9. #9
    HB Super Moderator
    "An Altec 210 mini-revival" or "An Altec 4th of July"


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: "An Altec 210 mini-revival" or "An Altec 4th of July"

    It's just a matter of re-educating Folk's on the quality of sound those vintage Altecs really had ! I mean HAVE !!

  10. #10
    Senior Hostboard Member
    "An Altec 210 mini-revival" or "An Altec 4th of July"


    Alien_Shore's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 25th, 2012
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    750
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

    Re: "An Altec 210 mini-revival" or "An Altec 4th of July"

    Quote Originally Posted by Edford View Post
    People are shocked when they hear low frequencies still coming at 200+ yards. Its like a Altec 210 mini-revival around here.
    Love it!
    This is the issue that has been brought up on many threads here - the ease of installation vs. sound quality. It really boils down to an economics concern for large traveling pro sound units. LA set ups can push so many more SPL for the weight and size than these traditional horns, but quality is the tradeoff. Good to see you working to swing the pendulum the other way!
    - Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.